The Unison School is a middle school focused on critical literacy, problem solving, and research. We are a small, caring school that focuses on teaching learners to learn for themselves and developing the whole person by emphasizing critical thinking, writing, and public speaking. The staff and students work in unison to collaborate with one another and with the greater community in service of developing engaged citizens that work to improve the world. At Unison, students read, write, communicate, explore the world, discover new interests, follow their hearts, and learn how to pursue their dreams. We are a safe, welcoming community of students in grades six, seven, and eight. Unison is part of the Urban Assembly, which is a network of 21 high-achieving schools committed to closing the achievement gap. Urban Assembly provides professional development and support for staff and students.
- Accelerated Classes: Algebra Regents, Earth Science Regents
- Elective Classes: Cooking, Dance, Drama, Flag Football, Health, Hydroponic Engineering, Musical Theater, Newspaper, Physical Education, Public Speaking, Soccer, Student Government, Visual Art, Yoga
- English Language Learning Programs: English as a New Language
- Our ELA courses all include substantial time for students to read books of their choosing independently and in book clubs. On top of this, the classes also read strategically chosen texts together to analyze, discuss, debate and eventually write about every other week.
- Our Mathematics courses emphasize deep learning about the essential math concepts in all three grade levels as well as fluency and accuracy with computation.
- Our Global Studies courses emphasize students thinking about ideas like power, morality, representation, conflict, class.
- Our Science courses are all problem-based and inquiry-based
- First of its kind! UA Unison has built into its middle school curriculum the Career and Technical Exploration Program (CTEP). These learning pathways prepare students to access a wide range of high-wage and high-demand 21st century careers in urban farming, technology and coding, performing arts, and design and construction.
- We are proud of having a strong Social Emotional Curriculum as a staple of the Unison day.
At UA Unison, students and families will receive High School selection supports starting in the spring of 7th grade. With our unique high school application process and the availability of SHSAT Tutoring, our families and students will be more than ready to transition to High School.
- Partnership with Citizen Schools to extend the learning day that runs until 5:40pm Monday through Thursday and until 4pm on Friday, including: Arts ; Academic Support ; Career Exposure Apprenticeships with Professionals from Various Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) Trades (including apprenticeships with companies such as Google, AOL, Spotify and many more) ; Specialized High School Test Prep ; Sports
- Championship Sports – Co-Ed: Developmental Basketball, Volleyball
Other Sports: Dance, Flag Football, Soccer, Track and Field