Founded in 2003, The Urban Assembly New York Harbor School's mission is to provide a college-preparatory education built upon New York City’s maritime experience that instills in students the ethics of environmental stewardship and the skills associated with careers on the water. Designated in 2009 as a Career and Technical Education school, the school offers programs in Marine Technology, Aquaculture, Marine Robotics, SCUBA Diving, Marine Policy and Lifeguarding.
- The marine world provides an ideal forum for an education based on excellence, discipline, and interdependence.
- Hands-on, inquiry-based learning in a natural environment stimulates curiosity, critical thinking, and vision – all of which help to improve student outcomes.
- All students have the desire and intellect to reach their highest academic standards when given the right opportunities and clear expectations.
- Small schools allow students a larger stake in decision making, as well as increased personal attention, alternative assessments, and easier access to the staff.
- All students should have access to New York waterways.
- College should be a real option for all students.
- Partnerships are key to providing relevant, on-water experiences.
- The environment should be left better than it’s found.
- A school is only as successful as its students.