UAM is a school that is focused on bringing out the best in all students' thinking so that they are able to achieve at high levels. UAM graduates are able to respond to the world by making choices that maximize positive outcomes for themselves and others. UAM is focused on students becoming better critical thinkers, not just acquiring more knowledge. As a result our students are able to respond productively in novel situations. UAM students are able to solve problems, access, analyze, and evaluate information and messages from a range of media, make a decision, and express their thinking verbally and in writing. As a result, UAM students are prepared to perform well in college, their career, life and be productive members of communities.
Programmatic Interest Area + Overview:
- Various Media Classes such as: Drama, Visual Thinking, Printmaking, Photo Journalism
- Media Presentations: An opportunity for students to present their work to a full-size audience. For these presentations, students choose work that is appropriate for the venue, and talk about their process in developing it.
- Partnerships: Exploring the Arts, YMCA, Peer Health Exchange, The Door, Sadie Nash, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Futures and Options
- Early College Access Program, AP For ALL, John Jay Early College Access Program
- We are a fully inclusive school with ICT courses in every subject area
- We believe that Social-Emotional Learning (SEL) is fundamental to students’ success in school and beyond. The curriculum focuses on developing the five SEL Competency Areas: Social Awareness, Self-Awareness, Self-Management, Relationship Skills, and Responsible Decision-Making
- English Language Learning Courses: English as a New Language
- Language Courses: Spanish
Advanced Placement Courses: AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature and Composition, AP Environmental Science – Pre-AP is available for Algebra, Biology, and English
- Clubs: Gaming, LGBT, Step, Anime, Fitness
- PSAL Sports – Soccer, badminton, bowling, basketball (JV + Varsity), Cross Country, Handball, Indoor/Outdoor Track, Softball, Flag Football, Volleyball, Wrestling, Baseball, Double-Dutch
College Trips; Health Center; Internships