UA Maker prepares students to find and solve challenges and create positive change. Our school uses design thinking and mastery-based grading to support all students for college and career success. All students take classes in coding and graphic design in addition to Regents based classes. You will use a laptop in class to support your studies in school as you develop the technology skills essential to a 21st century world. Your classes will challenge you to explore new ideas and technologies. UA Maker is a community of learners dedicated to growth mindset, self-awareness, and mastery.
Programmatic Interest Area + Overview:
Design Thinking: Typical 9th grade schedules include Physics, Algebra or Geometry, Global History, ELA, Advisory, Physical Education, Foundations of Computer Science, and Foundations of CTE (Computer Science and Digital Media). Priority given to students who are eligible for Free Lunch (based on family income) for up to 63% of seats.
- CTE exploration begins with a foundations course in Computer Science and Digital Media, followed by two pathways – one in video game programming/physical computing and one in digital animation and design
- Field trips to colleges and worksites, and other work-based learning opportunities.
- Regents prep curricula, academic coaching, small group advisory.
- College and career counseling beginning in students' first year.
- Partnership with BMCC and CUNY College Now for college courses.
- Services and support provided for ENL students and students with IEPs
- Language Courses: Spanish
Advanced Placement Courses: AP English Language and Composition, AP Literature, AP Calculus AB, AP Environmental Science, AP U.S. History
- After-School Tutoring, Dance Club, Gaming and Anime Club, Gay-Straight Alliance, Graphic Design, Lacrosse (Pending PSAL Approval), Music Unites: Ableton; SAT Prep, SHOREline Project, Sign Language Club, Student Government; If you are interested in starting a club that we do not have yet, you need 10 interested students, a teacher who will agree to moderate, and approval of the principal.
- PSAL Sports – Boys: Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Indoor Track, Lacrosse, Outdoor Track, Soccer, Table Tennis, Volleyball, Wrestling
- PSAL Sports – Girls: Badminton, Basketball, Bowling, Cross Country, Flag Football, Indoor Track, Outdoor Track, Soccer, Softball, Volleyball
- PSAL Sports – Co-Ed: Stunt
School Sports: Intramural Basketball, Intramural Soccer, Cheer
College Trips; Community Service Expected; Health Center; Internships; Multi-Session School; Online Grading System; Student Parent Orientation; Summer Internships