Our school was founded on the idea that students who can express themselves in writing can succeed in any path. Writing is another way where we leverage student voice and strengthen social justice! In addition to our inquiry-based college preparatory curriculum, students participate in field trips to arts institutions, overnight trips to universities, SAT prep, and enriching community-building activities. Our student services team connects students to jobs, internships, and programs that allow them to travel all over the world. We celebrate hard work, curiosity, self-expression, and service. Our graduates are critical readers and writers, fully prepared to maximize their learning and change the world.
Programmatic Interest Area + Overview:
Humanities & Interdisciplinary - Our school focuses on writing and social justice, giving all scholars a place to leverage their leadership and amplify their voice. Our extended school-day means there are additional opportunities for students to take high-interest classes and connect their interests and passions in new ways. At BAL, students do A LOT of writing, using their thinking to explain, process, and drive understand in new areas!
- Our in-residence program offers activism, writing, theater and music to our scholars, taught by industry leaders.
- Our full-time enrichment & partnership coordinator supports students in finding internships, extra curricular activities, & study abroad experiences.
- Structured yearly day trips means that three times a year, all students will visit colleges, museums, and engage in community service
- Students take part in yearly exhibitions where they present college level research projects to the community, highlighting their learning and skills.
- With house council, peer-group connection, IntegrateNYC, peer mediators, UP! and other organizations on campus, BAL develops student leaders.
- English Language Learning Courses: English as a New Language
- Language Courses: Arabic, Spanish
Advanced Placement Courses: AP English Literature and Composition, AP Environmental Science, AP Statistics, AP U.S. History
- Extracurricular participation expected; After-School Tutoring, Art Club, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Dance, Drama, Gender & Sexuality Alliance (GSA), Harlem RBI, Hip Hop Club, Literary Magazine (One Pen), The Moth (School Newspaper), Open Mics, Peer Group Connection, Peer Mediation, Poetry Slams, SAT Prep, School Choir, Senior Committee, Social Justice Organizations, Step Team, Student and Teacher-Recruitment Committees, Student Government, Yearbook, Young Runners, and more!
- PSAL Sports – Boys: Baseball, Basketball, Soccer, PSAL Sports – Girls: Basketball, Indoor Track, Softball, Volleyball, PSAL Sports – Co-Ed: Stunt
- School Sports: Baseball, Basketball (JV), Dance Team, Soccer, Softball, Step Team, Stunt, Track, Tri-Latino, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Weight Room
College Trips; Community Service Expected; Dress Code; Extended Day Program; Extended Day Program (Tutoring); Internships; Online Grading System; Saturday Programs; Student Parent Orientation; Summer Bridge Program; Summer Orientation; Uniform; Weekend Programs